The City Adventurers took a trip to Woburn Abbey before it closed for major refurbishments works. Woburn Abbey and Gardens are closed until 2022.
Woburn Abbey was founded in 1145 on the site of the present house. It became the seat of the Russell family in 1547 and of the Dukes of Bedford from 1694. The Abbey was largely rebuilt between 1744 and 1790 by Henry Flitcroft and Henry Holland.
The sixth Duke employed the innovative garden designer, Humphry Repton, to design the park and gardens. He produced his Red Book for Woburn in January 1805, that included suggestions for the grounds. The Repton landscape at Woburn Abbey is gradually being restored and will become one of the best surviving examples of his works when restorations are complete.
The Chinese Dairy stands in the gardens of Woburn Abbey, overlooking the lake. It was designed in the Chinoiserie style by Henry Holland. The Chinese Dairy was built around 1794 and restored in 2004.
We look forward to revisiting Woburn Abbey and Gardens when they reopen.